Wednesday, November 12, 2008

One More Left.


一日があっという間に過ぎ去っていくんだよね。
まだ21歳なのに、今でも一日があっという間に感じてしまう。
朝起きたと思ったら、ご飯を食べてもう寝てるの。
小学校の頃はあんなに一日が長かったというのに。
いつからか、こんなに時間に追いかけられながら生活しなければならなくなってしまったんだよねw
アメリカについてからもう三ヶ月がたったんだよね。はやいなぁ・・・
These days, I feel a day is like an hour or something.
I am only twenty-one years old, but I feel it is so quick.
I get up, then I notice that I eat dinner and sleep...
One day was very long and so calm when I was an elementary school student.
When does it begin? I am like tring to run away from the time, try to catch up with me.
It has been passed three months since I arrived here! Time flies...

そろそろセメスターも終わりに近づいてきたよ。
もう一ヶ月もたたないうちに秋学期が終わってクリスマスブレークが始まっちゃう。
The fall semester is almost over.
In a month, it will be done and the christmas break will come.


今学期はコーディネーターの人が決めた授業を取っていたので、ある意味、自分の興味範囲外の授業を取ることになりました。フレッシュマンらいてリング、児童文学のクラス、それから多文化アメリカ文学。前者二つはいいとして、自分で選ぶのだったら、絶対に三番目の授業は取らなかったと思う。アメリカ文学はイギリス文学よりも好きだけど、時代がちょっとずれてるから、私が興味あるのはもっと古い時代。現代作家ではなくって、自然派とか超越主義とかが入れ替わり登場していた頃ね。
During this semester, I needed to take three classes my cordinater choose, accordingly, they are out of my interest somewhat. If I could decide what I would take, then I would not take the Multicultural American Literature class. Freshman writing and Children's Literature class are fine, though. I prefer American literature, it is better than British one, I think. Yet, the era is different! I am not so interested in a books, which the authors are still alive...I like...the era the Transcendentalism or Naturalism were exsisted.


それでも、これにもやはり理由というものがあるようです。何事も起こることには理由があるのです。
However, I could find a reason for it. Nothing can happen without any reason.

やっぱり授業はものすごく大変。特に一番興味のない授業は大変。ただでさえ大変なのに、死ぬほど読まされるから。上の写真。。。児童文学で読んだ本も二冊まぎれているけど、ほかは全部異文化アメリカ文学で読んだ本。プロフェッサーパックには先生厳選の短編集がぎっしり。そのほかは、「その名にちなんで」、「セレモニー」、「フォーカス」そして、今読んでいる「キンドレッド」。どれもだいたい、一週間か二週間で読まなければならないから大変。サイドリーディングに短編集と「ディファレントミラー」が一日40ページとかあったりするんです。そして本編が一日50~100ページくらい。そして、不意打ちのポップテストw全部エッセイ形式の中間テスト・・・
The classes are challenging. Especially, the not interesting class is the most tough. It is difficult because, I am not so interested in it, moreover, I have to read so many pages... the pic in above....two of them are the books I read in the children's literature class, but others are....all for the multicultural American literature. The professor pack is filled with short stories the lecturer chose. And others are "The Namesake" "Celemony" "FOCUS" that I am working on a paper about right now, and "Kindred," which I am reading now and will discuss in the class next week. I have to finish reading in a week or two weeks, so they are freakin' busy busy reading. Beside the novels, I need to read some short stories from the prof pack and "Different Miller" around 40 or 50 pages a day. And the Novel 100 pages a day or something, with pop test.

最初の頃は寝る時間を削って、夜中の二時に図書館がしまるぎりぎりまで引きこもって読んでいたなぁ。「その名にちなんで」を必死に辞書を引きながら読んでいましたが・・・・今や図書館に引きこもることも少なくなり、辞書なんて滅多に引かなくなってしまいました・・・いい変化?悪い変化?さぁ・・・どっちだろう。力の抜き方を覚えたといえば聞こえはいいけれど、別の言い方すれば、ちょっと手抜きしてるかんじかな。それでも、寝る時間は三時くらいが平均。

I was reading "Namesake" in my uni's library untill the building was closed at 2a.m. around first month or a bit more....with dictionary. But now adays, I do not read at the library, I seldom consult my dictionary when I read. Is it good? or bad? Well...now I know how I can make my task easier, but I can say I am getting lazy. However, still I go bed around 3 a.m.

今週末は「フォーカス」の評論を5枚書き上げなきゃ・・・それと同時に「キンドレッド」を読み進めておかなければ!

I have to work on my paper. 5pages analyse paper about "FOCUS." moreover, I have to read "Kindred."

大変だけど、この「フォーカス」が私にとってはものすごく興味深い本なんですね。みんなつまらないって言うけれど、人のあり方について考えさせられるいい本だと思う。第二次世界大戦終結間近のアメリカでのユダヤ人迫害についてのお話。主人公は反ユダヤ主義の白人さん。ところがある日、彼がめがねをかけたとたんにユダヤ人と勘違いされ、会社を首になり、近所づきあいからは突き放され、友人からも裏切られてしまう。すべてはそのめがねのせいで。彼が「ユダヤ人にみえる」というだけで。

It is not easy, but the book "FOCUS" is very interesting story for me, even most of people says it is boring book. It gave me a good opportunity to think about human right. It is about anti-semitism in America, around 1945. The main character is a white American guy, who hates jewish people. However, one day, he wear glasses on, then people recognize him as a Jew. So he fired his com, his neighbor ignore him, his friends deceive him and ignore him, segregate him, because he "looks" like a Jew.

去年だったかな、新書で「人は見た目が99%」っていう本が出版されてベストセラーになった覚えがあるけど。人間の判断基準って恐ろしいけど、やっぱり見えるところからしか最初は見られないもんだよね。それでも、この話のおかしなところは、友人や会社の人までもが彼を差別し始める点。うぅん興味深い。

Last year was it? A book named "People judge you 99% based on your appearance." and it became a best seller book. The criteria of us to understand others are kinda scary, but we cannot understand others based on nothing other but appearance. What interesting the story is, his friends or co-workers discriminate him....hummm...interesting.

この本で梅光の卒論を書いてしまおうかと考え中・・・本当はホーソーンで書こうかとおもっていたけれど、意外なところで興味がwこれも、偶然、とらなければなかった授業のおかげ。新しいところに目が開けて、視野が広がったのかな。意味のないことなんてないんだなwって改めて思った瞬間。

I am thinking about I will write my thesis paper at my uni with this book...I was thinking that I will write about Nathaniel Hawthorne, but, I found the book is super interesting. I found my new interest in the super challenging class, which I did not want to attend. It widen my sight. O Well, nothing happens without any reason, I thought again.

さぁ!残りたったの一冊だし。がんばらなきゃ。

Well! I have only one more novel with this class! I have to do my best for it!

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Cool! I think your classes sound interesting. ^^

What are you doing for Christmas break? Are you travelling?

Anonymous said...

Hi Gene,

I found your blog again. It is interesting to read what is in your brain, haha. I should try to read everything in Japanese because it is good practice...

You know, I know how difficult it is to take classes you are not interested in. It is hard, isn't it? Still, you are so lucky to study, I think. I miss studying formally! I hope you really enjoy your time there.

I read about what you said about Obama and McCain, and I thought it was interesting to read your opinions of our presidential candidates.

 
☆Thank you for reading my pages* counter since 9 JUNE 2009* 2009年6月9日以来 人目のお客様です☆いつも読んでくれてありがとう♪