Monday, March 9, 2009

本当の日本食。

アメリカでおいしいご飯を食べようと外食するとがっかりしてしまいます。
そう感じているのは日本人だけではないようです。
In America, it is difficult to find a nice restaurant. They always are disappointing.
I found that it is not only Japanese people!

春休み一日目だった昨日、お友達の元ホストファミリーのお家に日本食を作りに行ってきましたよ☆
セルビア人のホストファミリーらしいです。美術の先生と歴史学の先生のご両親。おうちはとっても素敵でしたよ★
Yesterday, it was the first day of my spring break, and I visit my friend's host family in Bloomington to cook some Japanese food with him. They are Serbian, the parents are a professor of Art, and History at IU, so the house was so pretty.

ちなみに、作ったのはうどん・そばとてんぷら各種w
We cooked Udon, Soba and Tempura!
それから、ホストブラザーのニコラが好きだというかっぱ巻きw
And some cucumber roll, which the host brother loves.

とーるさんてんぷらを作るw掻き揚げがこんなに難しいとは予想外だった二人(笑)
でも、苦労したかいあって、にんじん、たまねぎ、ホタテとえびの入った掻き揚げが一番人気でした★
ほかにも、なす、しいたけ、サツマイモなんかをあげましたよ。どれも人気でしたよぉ~。
Toru making Tempura. We did not expect that Kakiage is such a challenging thing to make!!! but every one loved the tempura, so it's all right! We made Eggplant, Shitake mushroom, and sweet potatoes with Kakiage:) Every one loves them!


ディーポックすしを巻く★以外に器用ですwww
Depock....(i am not sure how to spell his name lol) He is good at rolling sushi!

ニコラすしを切る★これがまたうまいw
Nicola cutting the rolled sushi. Actually, he is good at it lol

酢飯が足りなかったので、さらにまぜまぜするジーン。
砂糖と酢を混ぜて、ご飯にしみこませんのねw
海苔にきゅうりと梅肉をつけて巻き巻き♪思った以上においしかったし、みんな気に入ってくれた様子でwよかったです★
We needed more vinegar-seasoned rice for cucumber roll, so I made sushi vinegar again and making the special rice for it. We roll cucumber with pickled plum paste! It was so nice!

おしゃれすぎ★日本食に見えない(笑)
どれもすごくおいしかったよ!
大成功☆
Such a sophisticated table! It looks not a Japanese food lol
All of them are so nice.
Yey!

お家にもらった茶筅と抹茶があるので、ティーセレモニーしてくれない?といわれ、幸運にも長いこと茶道を習っているジーンなので、お役に立つことができましたよ。
ここ二年くらい茶筅を振っていませんでしたが、意外と体は覚えているものです。立流式でやってみましたよ★みんな以外においしいといって飲んでくれたので、うれしかったです♪
The family had "cha-sen" and powdered green tea for tea ceremony, and they asked me if I can make tea for them. Fortunately, I have learned it for 10 years! I have not done it since two years ago or something, but my body remembered everything! I performed it "ru-rei" formed one. They loved it! I was happy:)

彼らのお話を聞いている限り、食にこだわりを持っている人たちのようでした。
アメリカ人ではないということもあるのかもしれませんが、モーガンの家ではぜんぜん受けなかった日本食も、こちらでは大好評でしたよ。生まれたときからいいものを食べて育っていれば、食の大切さもわかるようになるのでしょう。小さなときからファーストフードとチーズだけで育っている人にはわからない繊細な味が日本食にはしっかり詰まっています。それをわかる人が、ここにもいるのだなとうれしくなりました★
I think the family is interested in food.
They loved our food why because they are not American partially, but they might grew up with nice foods, not like the fast foods or cheesy stuff. They know how food is important for their lives with the good meals. If people grew up with only fast foods and cheesy stuff, they cannot feel the very delicate difference of the tastes of Japanese food, or any kind of meals.

一日、いい日でした。残りのスプリングブレークも楽しく過ごせるかな?
It was a great day. I am sure I will enjoy the rest of SB too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

おお、天ぷらおいしそう~。
確かに、このアメリカ(特に中西部?)でおいしいものを知ってる人たちは、郷土料理が舌の記憶にちゃんと残ってるエスニックな人たちなんだよね~。最近、Indyでおいしいトルコ料理を食べて以来、外食はもうエスニック系と決めつつある私です:)
ところで、このホストファミリーさんのお宅、インテリアも素敵だね!バルカンの歴史に興味があるので、Serbsというところがとっても気になってしまいました。

GENE said...

てんぷら、、、作るのは大変でした(笑)みんなおいしいといって食べている姿を見ながら、疲れすぎてほとんど食べられなかったGeneでしたよw
私も友人と外食のときはTHだといつもクロガーの隣にある中華かエキゾチックタイにしかいかないですもん。ブルーミントンにいったときもそういえば韓国料理屋さんにいったしw
とっても素敵なファミリーでしたよ、インテリアも本当におしゃれで・・・。きれいなきれいなお家でしたよ☆セルビア人としてのアイデンティティーを大切にしている様子のかたがたでしたよ~。

 
☆Thank you for reading my pages* counter since 9 JUNE 2009* 2009年6月9日以来 人目のお客様です☆いつも読んでくれてありがとう♪